1. There was an obviously crude attempt at fixing what may have been a seam tear on the right side of the bodice.
3. Now, this is the worst part of all, there is a tear in the fabric right where the rear armpit and the back of the dress meet. This is the most obvious and troublesome damage because it does not line up to a seam and could be the end of this piece all together.
There will also be an additional costs for making sure that this item is re-salable such as an appointment to the cleaners to brighten the fabric. So what is a vintage seller to do when they run into a piece like this? Well if you like a challenge like I do, then you find yourself adopting pieces like this and figuring out how you can salvage it and bring it back to the full gorgeous life we know it still has in it. So here are few major tools you must have:
- A Sewing Machine,
- Needle and matching thread for the simpler solutions,
- Gentle cleaning solutions such as Shout, Woolite, and Biz,
- Rust remover in case of difficult brown stains, I prefer WINK products, and
- A little bit of skill in the ways of design, because that big rip in the middle of the fabric may not be salvageable otherwise.
- A great Dry Cleaners that understands clothing restoration and has a reputation for being AWESOME at bringing textiles back to life safely and
- A wonderful seamstress who is not only talented at fixing seam tears and hems, but just talented PERIOD, because that tear is probably going to need a re-design and a good pair of capable hands.
Do you have any DIY projects that you would like to share with us? Do you have any vintage clothing repair or cleaning tips? If so, leave a comment or a link, we would love to hear your ideas.
Monique, Twirl Vintage Co.
JOIN OUR BLOG AND SAVE BIG!
Save 20% off your Next Purchase at Twirl Vintage Co.
Join the Twirl Vintage Co. blog where we will feature our new product releases, big sales and promotions, as well as share the latest in Vintage Fashion news. Just follow these 3 simple steps and you will qualify for a *promo code for 20% off of your next purchase good until December 31, 2011.1. go to www.twirlvintageco.comWhen you have completed these steps we will e-mail you a *promo code for 20% off good until December 31, 2011!*This promotion can not be combined with other promotions, lay - aways, or discounts. Good for one purchase.
2. join our blog
3. leave a comment on the most recent blog post